Google Analytics

Monday, October 31, 2011

CONFESSION: I am a crier.


One way that Mr. Hawk and I greatly differ is in our emotions. In the nearly two years that we've been together, I can only specifically recall seeing Mr. Hawk cry three times. (One of those being the day he proposed. Awwww.) And even then I've never really seen him cry more than a couple glistening tears down his cheeks.

Me on the other hand, I am a crier. I'm sure Mr. Hawk is lucky to see a week or two go by without my tears. I don't want to make myself seem coo-coo-cachoo, but I often get moved to tears by movies, music, TV shows, or even commercials. And unfortunately for me, also unlike Mr. H, I am not a one to two tear crier if I'm feeling particularly moved.

Image via FanPop via ABC's 2003 special "Britney Spears: In The Zone" with Diane Sawyer
Exhibit One: Marley and Me. I made the mistake of going to see this movie in the theater. (Heck, I made the mistake of seeing this movie at all, but I digress...) I knew Marley was going to be a goner, but knowing it could not prepare me for the overwhelming emotion. It started off with silent tears, but pretty soon I couldn't contain myself and embarrassedly audibly sniffled several times before holding my breath to get myself together. Once I got to the privacy of my own car, I had a full-on ugly cry complete with snotty nose and puffy red eyes.
Exhibit Two: Grey's Anatomy a few weeks ago. Mr. H came in while I was watching. Within five minutes he looked over and saw the tears freely falling. I composed myself as the show progressed, and Mr. H went to the kitchen. But by the time he came back I was crying again. He was baffled. I'm pretty sure the conversation went something like this: "What happened now? You were just fine a minute ago!" My response, [sniffle sniffle] "they're [sniffle] taking Meredith's [sniffle, sniffle] baby [sniffle] away!" Mr. Hawk shakes his head and walks back to the kitchen.

Now I have a very strong feeling that I'm going to be "particularly moved" on our wedding day. The multitude of opportunities for me to be affected by crying are a little frightening. Vows? Yes. First dance? Possibly. Toasts? I could see it. Daddy-Daughter dance? Abso-freakin'-lutely. I don't know how I'm going to hold it together and it makes me a little concerned. I mean, I am paying boo-koo bucks for photos to last a lifetime. I don't want to be red, puffy, and snotty in all of them! I have a feeling the day is going to be full of trying to keep myself in check and several emergency trips to the bathroom to make sure my makeup isn't all over my face.

Are y'all worried about becoming emotional on your wedding day? Do you have any tips or tricks to keeping yourself tear-free?

1 comment:

  1. I am wondering the same thing. I'm ...emotional too and I really don't want to ugly cry at my wedding. Lol. I've been trying to practice not crying at things on tv. I am praying that because I'm spending a lot of money on make-up I'll try thinking on how I don't want to ruin it and waste all that money. Good luck and congrats on your engagement!

    ReplyDelete