Google Analytics

Monday, October 3, 2011

Dinner Discussions & Decisions


Throughout the whole planning process, Mr. Hawk has been pretty darn laid back. (Thank God at least one of us is as cool as a cucumber!) Besides the occasional, “do you really need that?” or “um, I thought we were thinking of ways to save money?” he’s happily let me take the reins and be little miss type-A. But when it came to discussing the food, it was a bit of a different story. I am obviously madly in love Mr. Hawk, but sometimes his obsession with all things food (well mainly pork) kills me.

When we started discussing menu ideas, we knew we didn’t necessarily want to go the traditional reception route of a steak dish, a chicken dish, and veggies. We threw some ideas around and landed on serving southern-style comfort food. It fit our location and us as a couple. (Plus who doesn’t enjoy gourmet mac and cheese?!)  I was thinking Virginia Ham, biscuits and corn bread, and some southern-style veggies (all perhaps with a little elegant twist). Mr. Hawk heard southern and thought “PULLED PORK!” I think a lot of men have an obsession with all things pork that us women may never understand, but this was ridiculous. (We weren’t discussing what to eat for your average Saturday night dinner here!) I just didn’t see having pulled pork sandwiches as being as elegant as I wanted for our evening reception. Apparently it was all Mr. Hawk could see. [Sigh.]

Photo via Simply Recipes
I went about the process of requesting quotes and having consultations with several Williamsburg caterers all the while with the nagging pork issue in the back of my mind. (I mean, it was the ONE thing he actually cared about. It didn’t feel right to just ignore his request, but it also needed to fit with our reception style). When we finally agreed on our selection, Williamsburg Catering Company, there was one tiny issue. The menu they offered had all the things I was looking for, but lacked a little something Mr. Hawk was obsessing over. Luckily they were very accommodating and willing to work with special requests. Did they make pulled pork? Of course! Could they do it as a slider as one of the passed hors d’ourves? Yes, they sure could. (Victory!) So I got my classed-up southern comfort foods, and Mr. Hawk got his pulled pork. (Well only if those tasty sliders aren’t completely gone by the time we get to cocktail hour!)

Was there a time your groom was suddenly more vocal about a decision? Did he want to participate in the food selections?

No comments:

Post a Comment