Google Analytics

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Bride Wars!

I know this is silly, but I think it's human nature (or maybe its just me and I'm rationalizing!)... I have found myself comparing my wedding to a wedding of a friend who is getting married around the same time Mr. Hawk and I are. Trust me, it's not a competitive streak of who-is-outdoing-who I feel, but rather a feeling that I am so behind on planning!

This couple, who are very close friends of Mr. Hawk's, became engaged a few months after us; however, they decided to have a shorter engagement and get married a couple weeks before we will be married. I'll admit that I was a bit surprised, but it didn't bother me because I knew it was what would work best for them. (And they did it taking our wedding into consideration, which they definitely didn't have to do!) What has begun to send me panicking is hearing the progress they've made.

Image Via Wallpaperez, From 20th Century Fox's Bride Wars
Now the bride-to-be is lucky in that she is the youngest of three girls. This isn't her parents' first wedding and over the years they've gained some insight and developed contacts. Additionally her reception is more of an all-inclusive deal with florist, catering, etc., which means less leg-work to find individual vendors. I just feel like I've been working at this forever and am still far behind! When they booked their honeymoon, when they sent out their STDs, and when I found out the bridesmaids dresses were ordered, I felt a panic in my belly and my mind start to race. Shouldn't I have (insert task here) done by now? Am I behind?

Like I said earlier, I know it's silly. I can't say that I've completely overcome it yet, but I am trying to focus on us and all of our accomplishments to date. Being as Type-A as I am, I know we're not behind schedule because I keep that wedding checklist close to my side! I just have to keep telling myself that we are right where we are supposed to be.

Do you ever find yourself comparing yourself to other brides? How do you get focused back on your own wedding?

No comments:

Post a Comment