Google Analytics

Thursday, October 20, 2011

No Kids Allowed

Pretty early on Mr. Hawk and I knew that we wanted to have a smaller wedding, surrounded by our closest family and friends. The thought of being introduced to some distance second cousin twice removed at the reception just didn't feel right to me. We decided to keep it as small as possible for such an intimate occasion; however, not unfortunately  for us but unfortunately for our guest list, our families alone could easily exceed the 120 guest max mandated by Wren Chapel. Actually let me clarify, Mr. Hawk's family alone could easily exceed 120 people. (FMIL has over 10 siblings, so with their children and grandbabies, well you can do the math 'cause my head just started hurting.)

We knew we had to draw the line somewhere if we were even going to have room for friends (and maybe some of my family members). So we decided to have an adult-only ceremony and reception. Now I know that the idea is still considered somewhat controversial, but like I said we had to draw the line somewhere...

Image via Zazzle
Now here is the tricky part: every rule must have an exception. My little sister, Jr. BM M will be twelve at the time of the wedding (obviously not an adult). And our adorable flower girl W will only be four. Since they are members of the bridal party, we figured that no one could really put up a fuss. But it gets worse! We just found out that Mr. Hawk's sister is preggo with baby number two. My soon-to-be nephew will only be approximately two and a half to three months old come our wedding day. I am very conflicted with what to do. Mr. Hawk says that we can't very well tell them that FG W can come but their brand new baby isn't allowed, which I understand. But at the same time my rule-follower side says the rules should stand. I don't want to ruffle any feathers with other guests! I had a fleeting thought of having my future nephew serve as ring bearer, but he will literally be a newborn and I don't think it makes sense.

The line that I thought we drew is looking a little hazy. What are y'alls thoughts? Did you struggle with your guest list?

No comments:

Post a Comment