Google Analytics

Thursday, October 13, 2011

CONFESSION: We Committed a Major Engagement Party Faux Pas

Some people might say that having your family across the country is a "blessing in disguise," but those people must not feel the same way I do about my parents because I think it S.U.C.K.S. Momma Hawk and I are extremely close and we talk nearly every day on the phone, but when you need your closest confidant to accompany you to venues, tastings, and general planning sessions, the phone doesn't quite cut it. The same applies for arranging very important parties, like say your engagement party...

In the several years it has been since my parents and sister moved to California, they had never been able to make it out this way to visit. (So it was not like having them around was a regular occurrence.) I knew the exact week in August that Momma and Sis Hawk would be making the trek to Virginia, so we did the unthinkable. Mr. Hawk and I, along with Momma Hawk's assistance, hosted our own engagement party...at our own home. (Gasp! The horror!) I know, I know. It's frowned upon to host any get-together in your own honor, clap for yourself as you receive an award, or take a drink after someone is toasting you (I've paid attention, Mrs. Post), but planning our own party was what worked best for us.
Emily Post's Wedding Etiquette via Emily Post
FMIL Hawk lives out in the middle of nowhere, and obviously mine lives cross-country. A friend would have gladly hosted, but with our tight schedule and my mom and sister staying with us, it just made sense. We kept it very casual and intimate, only inviting family, members of the wedding party, their SO's and one or two select close friends. A couple of our friends very generously offered to help cook and brought sides and appetizers. Momma Hawk made her A-MA-ZING salsa, I prepared my now-famous sangria, and we served pulled pork sandwiches. (Could you imagine anything different with Mr. Hawk's taste?!) It was really a great time and I am so glad that I could share it with my mom and sister. It really wouldn't have felt like an engagement party without them there. (So go ahead and call the etiquette police! Guilty as charged.)

Did you ever commit a wedding etiquette faux pas? Do you think that the old rules still apply?

No comments:

Post a Comment