Google Analytics

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Music to My Ears

I'll admit that ceremony music was one of my back-burner tasks. It was something that I knew I needed, but it was a decision I wasn't in a rush to make. I think a lot of it stemmed from the fact that I was at a loss of what to do.

Wren Chapel has a beautiful eighteenth century organ on the balcony, and I loved the idea of utilizing the historical instrument, but I kept having doubts about the sound. The chapel is quite small, covered in dark wood panels. Somehow the thought of filling the space with organ music made me think of heavyness opposed to a light, jubilant sound I envisioned for my wedding day. (Does that sound silly?)

Wren Chapel Organ, Personal Photo
I approached my DJ for some recommendations, and she had me listen to samples of an organist, guitarist, and string trio. I immediately ruled out the guitarist because it didn't feel like Mr. Hawk and I. The organ actually suprised me with being less dark as I imagined, but I wasn't 100% convinced; however, once I heard the strings I was in love. The sound was light, sweet, and elegant just as I had imagined.
Unfortunately paying for a group of musicians is pretty costly, and I wasn't sure a trio or quartet was really in the budget. Since I did wait on my decision, I had already seen money fly out the door towards other major expenses, and I really couldn't justify going over budget in another area. Additionally I was a bit concerned about space. The chapel's max is 120 guests, and I was beginning to wonder where all these extra bodies would fit in such a tight space. So what's a hawk to do?

With a little more research, I found a violinist who performs solo. Given that the ceremony space is so small I think that he will  be the perfect fit. I will get the type of music I prefer without sacrificing precious space. Another benefit is the afforability factor. The cost aligns with our budget and our guests will be able to enjoy both pre and post-ceremony music. Horray!

Was ceremony music a priority for you? Did you hire a preformer of any kind? How did you decide?

No comments:

Post a Comment