Google Analytics

Friday, April 27, 2012

Gifting the Bridesmaids: DIY Vintage Brooch Necklaces

I knew from pretty early on that I wanted to make my bridesmaids coordinating jewelry. Being that jewelry making used to be a hobby of mine, I knew I had the tools and enough experience that I could probably make it work. When searching for inspiration, I immediately fell in love with the DIY necklaces from Broke-Ass Bride and Martha Stewart.

Image via Martha Stewart          /            Image via The Broke-Ass Bride
Using their designs as inspiration, I created necklaces and bracelets that fit the style of dresses the ladies will be sporting. To get started, I first collected brooches from ebay. I had a saved search set up for "vintage flower brooches" that notified me of new listings. (I swear, my phone was going off once an hour!)
I'm a bad blogger and didn't take a picture of the entire collection
I also gathered the necessary tools: a kit of jewelry connections, jump rings, jewelry pliers, and super glue (not pictured).

I played around with the various brooches until I had combinations that I liked together.

Then I started to link them with the jump rings. There is no magic formula for this step. By trial and error I made links of the jump rings and connected them to the brooch backs until I achieved the spacing that I wanted. Sometimes one side had three jump rings and the other only had two. The size of the brooches played a big role in determining the correct spacing. On the end, I attached the end connectors.
Once I was satisfied with the spacing and placement, I superglued the brooches closed. I was a bit hesitant to do this step at first, thinking the girls might actually want to use the brooches after the wedding; however, when the backs kept popping open with movement, I knew it was necessary.

To finish them off I attached ivory ribbon. I was really glad that I went with this option rather than the rope or a chain. I think the ribbon adds a little daintiness and also allows the necklaces to be adjustable.


Because two of my lovely ladies will be wearing halter style dresses, I knew necklaces wouldn't be ideal. For them I made bracelets with matching earrings.


Sissy Hawk couldn't wait to model her bracelet.

I think I see a future career in hand modeling!
 Was having coordinating jewelry for your bridesmaids important to you? Anyone else DIY jewelry for yourself or your ladies?

No comments:

Post a Comment