Google Analytics

Thursday, April 5, 2012

DIY Matchbox Covers

My love for our monogram knows no end. (I told y'all it would keep popping up!) Since we're going to have a mini cigar bar, I figured custom matchboxes were in order.

Aren't they adorable?
Supplies:
Matchboxes (I ordered from Amazon)
Cardstock
Xacto Knife
Scissors/Paper Trimmer
Glue (I used regular ole Elmer's craft glue)


I started off by disassembling a matchbook cover and taking its measurements. Then I made a quick template in Publisher with the dimensions. I added our monogram and "the perfect match" to opposing sides of the design.


I printed the design to the Kraft card stock and cut to size with a paper trimmer. Then I scored the lines of the printed covers to make them easier to fold.

Now here's the part that is a pain. I disassembled all the matchbook covers in order to glue the new covers I created. With trial and error, I found the best way to disassemble the ones I purchased was a combination of lightly pulling them apart by hand and then using an xacto knife to cut through any areas that were particularly difficult.

Once all the pieces were ready, I began to reassemble. To make sure the glue had ample time to dry, I reassembled the boxes in two steps. I first glued all the designed covers to the flat matchbook covers. (Make sure not to cover the strike strip!)


Then I folded them back together and held them closed for several seconds to set the glue before letting them completely dry.
I think they turned out really well! I'm excited to have these on display at the bar and scattered around our outdoor bar tables. Hopefully the guests will take notice of them.

Anyone else DIY'ing matchbooks or matchboxes?

No comments:

Post a Comment