Google Analytics

Sunday, November 6, 2011

Registries Are Exhausting

This weekend we finally ticked off another major task on the to-do list: our registry. I'll be honest with y'all. Registering was on the bottom of my priority list. I knew it was something that had to be taken care of at some point and time, but I was kind of dreading it. In a lot of ways I was thinking it was going to be a pointless exercise. I mean, Mr. Hawk and I have been living together for over a year now. What could we really need? When we decided to rent a home together, we both brought a good amount of things into our home: pots and pans, plates, silverware... Or so I thought. Being little miss Type-A, I printed several suggestion lists: Real Simple, Macy's, and Crate & Barrel and reviewed them thoroughly. When it came time to take a good solid inventory, I realized that we were definitely lacking. I'm embarrassed to admit that in a lot of ways we've been living like college kids (at 26 and 30, no less)!

The majority of our cups (I can't even call it glassware) are emblazoned with either Green Leafe logos (one of my favorite college bars) or sports logos. We have a collection of mismatched wine glasses we've collected at our various wine tasting outings, and our serving platters are all Tar-gay plastics. I was incredibly surprised that I only was able to eliminate a handful of items from the registry lists! Apparently this registry thing was something we needed more than I originally thought.

With my notated lists in hand, we went to Macy's. We decided to take care of a lot of big-ticket items there such as our china, silverware, and small appliances. At first I regretted bringing Mr. H when it came to China patterns. He thought China was pointless, yet was somehow very opinionated when it came to decision-making. (Sigh.) In the end we were able to agree on a great pattern.
Lenox's Venetian Lace
Then after a Starbucks visit later (and Venti-sized coffees in hand, did I mention the exhaustion?), we were on to Crate & Barrel. C&B was the place I was most looking forward to after our in-home inventory. I knew that we were in desperate need of every day items. We found some great glassware (plastic cups, be gone!) and grown-up serving platters. One of my favorite items we found was the lightly green-tinted Miguel pitcher and glasses.

Image via Crate & Barrel
Mr. Hawk took charge of the scanner gun (of course) and I actually think that he might have had a good time (besides the whole "I'm missing college football for this" attitude.)
Mr. H trying to register for the Woodford Reserve Bourbon (Personal Photo)
We pretty much selected everything we needed to besides a couple items that I wanted to do a bit more research on before choosing a brand and model. The online feature is going to be a life-saver, especially for price comparisons. I know there's not a chance in hell I'll get Mr. H back out there, scanner gun or not.

How was your registry experience? We're you surprised by the amount of items you ended up needing?


3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We did our registry online, but I'm looking forward to going into the store and seeing things in person. I love your comment about your FI thinking china was pointless but then having a strong opinion about it. Lol that sounds like my FI too.

    Happy planning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. for me, the registry is the most fun part :)
    found you thru weddingbee and love your blog!

    ReplyDelete