Google Analytics

Monday, May 14, 2012

Trials and Tribulations with Makeup

I'm sure not a single bride goes through planning without a little vendor drama of some sort. Finding a makeup artist just happened to be mine. Originally, a friend of a friend offered to do my makeup. She was trying to gain new clients and was super-enthusiastic. I had no doubt in my mind there would be any issue because she is just sweet as pie. But then (because there is always a "but then" for the drama to start) she had to back out around six weeks before the wedding. Cue panic.

I was incredibly disappointed, but took it in stride when she informed me that she had already found a replacement who was a professional. This replacement had all of the high-end airbrushing tools and was just FAB.U.LOUS. Needless to say I was excited to meet the new MUA and have my trial, which I scheduled for a week or so later.

I should have known from the start of the appointment that the experience would not be exactly what I had been led to believe. I was a little put-off when I sat and waited over fifteen minutes before she finally greeted me with no mention of making me wait. (Not a total deal-breaker, but an annoyance.) What really started to concern me was that she looked to be about eighteen. Maybe. And more importantly than young, she seemed incredibly nervous. At this point, worry was setting in. By the time she began matching my skin to the liquid foundation, it was glaringly obvious I was misled. I asked, "do you airbrush?" Her reply was "oh no, I've never done that before. It'd be cool, though!" Yea. It would be cool. Sigh. So I disappointedly sat through the trial and kept my mouth shut. I'm not going to say she did a horrible job because she really didn't; however, she didn't airbrush, which I really wanted, and the makeup she did use was of lower quality than I personally own. It just didn't seem worth it to hire her.

I hate the way my skin looks here. So red! And the foundation clearly doesn't match properly
I do like the eye makeup
Surprisingly, in the nasty yellow light of my bathroom, the makeup looks much better. (Obviously I'd like to look better in natural light considering the majority of photos will be taken outside!)



After a disappointing trial, I went into full panic-mode. At that point, I was only four weeks out from my wedding day. I scoured the internet for review after review and sent out about fifteen inquiries. Unsurprisingly, almost everyone was booked. For those who did have slots, many couldn't accomodate our time frame. Luckily for me, I found someone great who could work with us.

So on Sunday, less than a week before our wedding, I met with Theresa Little and finally all my makeup worries were eased. She airbrushed half my face and applied liquid foundation on the other half so I could see the difference and make an informed decision about which application I preferred. She also applied a few individual lashes to really make my eyes stand out. I loved the way it turned out.

The airbrushed side
 I love the way my skin looks and the fact that you can actually see it beneath the makeup.
A little squinty-eyed in the sun
  
Six hours later. Still going strong.
 It may have been a little bit of a bumpy ride to get here, but I think I am getting to work with the best possible person for the job. I am not the slightest bit concerned about looking lovely on my wedding day thanks to Theresa!

What drama have you dealt with while wedding planning?

No comments:

Post a Comment