Google Analytics

Thursday, May 10, 2012

Fulfilling My Old, New, Borrowed, and Blue

The timeless tradition of the bride wearing something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue (and a sixpence in her shoe), dates back to Victorian times. Like many brides before me, I wanted to take part in the tradition. When I actually sat down to think about it, I realized that I had many items that fulfilled the categories except for one: my something old. But I'll get back to that in a minute.

My something new could be one of many items like my dress, veil, or earrings, but I've decided to pick my shoes. Ever since I purchased them, they've been untouched and tucked away in a closet. They'll be brand-spankin' new when I slide them on my feet.

Just looking at them makes me have a Carrie Bradshaw "Hello, lover" moment.
My something borrowed was pretty much a no-brainer as well. My mother is lending me her gorgeous blue topaz necklace.
SO beautiful. Pictured here with my wedding day earrings (a new item!)
Obviously the necklace could also be my something blue, and I planned on it doing double-duty, but recently, I also purchased an embroidered hankerchief that could also be my something blue.



So here we are back to the dilemma: my something old. I suppose my mother's necklace could be my something old, but it's not really that old. My dad gifted it to her around twenty years ago. Is that old enough? I also considered wearing my signature perfume, Chanel's Coco Mademoiselle. I know that goes against the whole new wedding-day fragrance craze, but it would be a somewhat unique something old (that's also not that old). I could also request to borrow my grandmother's old engagement ring. My mom currently has it, but I know that it wouldn't fit my finger. I'd have to include it as a charm on my bouquet or pin it somehow.

When it comes to my something old, I'm completely at a loss. Of my options which would you pick? Are any of y'all carrying or wearing a unique something old?

No comments:

Post a Comment