Google Analytics

Thursday, February 2, 2012

Finding the Words: The Hawk Invites

Since I shared my invitation wording tips, I figured I should also share what Mr. H and I ended up with and how we came to our decision.

Here is the wording in it's entirety (well minus those pesky blanks): 

The honor of your presence is requested as
Lauren M____
daughter of C___ and R___ Mylastname
and
Aaron J____
son of C___ Hislastname and the late R____ Hislastname
are united in Holy Matrimony
on Saturday the ___ of May 
two thousand and twelve
at five o'clock

The Chapel of the Sir Christopher Wren Building
Williamsburg, Virginia
 
Because some of y'all may find it helpful, I will break it down and share how we came up with the different elements.
 
The honor of your presence is requested as (We chose this request line because we are having a religious ceremony in a chapel. [Historically "the honor of your presence" is used to indicate ceremonies in a church.] We wanted to go with traditional wording.)
 
Lauren M____ (Mr. Hawk and I are hosting the wedding and therefor chose to be the ones inviting our guests. Although my parents are making a very generous contribution, Mr. Hawk and I are funding the bulk of the wedding. More importantly than that, I have been living on the opposite coast from my parents for four years now. Although I liked the traditional wording of the bride's parents inviting the guests, it just didn't feel right...)

daughter of C___ and R___ Mylastname (...BUT I felt that my parents still needed to be named on the invite!)
 
and
 
Aaron J____ (Another aspect I'd like to mention is that Mr. H and I did not list our last names on the invitation. I originally had them listed, but I found it entirely too wordy especially since we share the same last names are our parents.)

son of C___ Hislastname and the late R____ Hislastname (I'm not sure if y'all remember but FMIL is officiating the ceremony. She definitely deserved a shout out on the invitation. It was also an awesome way to honor Mr. Hawk's father who passed away several years ago.)

are united in Holy Matrimony (Again we wanted to point to the fact that it is a religious ceremony. "Unite in Holy Matrimony" just spoke to me more than "unite/join together in marriage" and Mr. Hawk agreed.)
 
So tell me, what part of selecting invitation wording did you find most difficult? Was there anyone special that you wanted named on the invitation?
 

No comments:

Post a Comment