Google Analytics

Friday, September 30, 2011

Sticker Shock



Image Via Williamsburg Weddings
After I had successfully locked in our ceremony location, I was ready to move forward by securing our reception spot. I knew we had limited options having our wedding in a small town like the ‘burg, but I really wasn’t concerned. I figured the perfect reception location would be none other than the W&M Alumni House! It is, like many on-campus buildings, a beautiful, historic brick building (and even better, it's located just a few steps away from Wren Chapel). It houses a great spiral staircase and gorgeous ballroom, none of which really mattered since I envisioned the reception outside on the all-brick patio and grass park attached to the building. We were going to have a large white tent with tons of pastel chinese lanterns. (Romantic, right?)

Image via Taylor Rental & Party Plus
See, when Mr. Hawk and I developed our wedding budget, it seemed like a BIG number. We were right on-par with the cost of the “average American wedding” and the weddings I'd seen on Style Me Pretty and The Knot were pretty grand affairs. Then I got my reality check. When meeting with our DJ/Master of Ceremonies/DOC/Superwoman, I told her my vision and naturally she asked about our budget. Her reaction was not quite what I had expected. She thought my vision was “lovely,” but was I willing to shell out a QUARTER of my entire budget on the reception space? Then Mr. Hawk chimed in. “Yea, I didn’t understand why we’d pay thousands to rent the building just to have the reception outside in a tent.”
[UGH!] I was crushed. The word "traitor" might have crossed my mind. Didn’t they see it? This was my DREAM! My VISION!

Well after getting over their mutual squashing of my dreams, I started to see the light. It really didn’t make sense to spend so much money on the reception space. I started to realize all of the things we’d have to cut out with such a large portion of our budget gone. (I mean, it wouldn't be much of a party if we couldn't afford to feed anyone...ANYTHING.) Our big budget started to look a little smaller and I had to readjust my expectations.

I actually lucked out in that my fiance is pretty level-headed and no-nonsense. He doesn't get lost in unrealistic visions of grandeur like his day-dreaming bride-to-be. I have a feeling this won't be the last time Mr. Hawk has to bring me back down from the clouds.


During the planning process was there a time you were hit with sticker shock? Did you ever have to readjust your expectations to stay within your budget constraints?

No comments:

Post a Comment