Google Analytics

Friday, September 30, 2011

The Gray Days

Even before I received the good news about Wren Chapel, I was thinking about wedding colors. Since I was a child, I’ve had a love affair with pink. Ever the perpetual girly girl, pink and I made sense together; however, when it came to wedding planning, I never even considered pink. From the very beginning, it has been all about yellow. Yellow roses have been my favorite flower for as long as I can remember. Maybe it’s because they remind me of the great state of Texas, where I lived for several years. <3 I can’t pinpoint when or why I started loving them, but there’s something about yellow roses that just makes me happy.

Since yellow flowers were pretty much a non-negotiable, I began researching complementary colors. That’s when I first came across the modern and sophisticated combination that is yellow and gray. [Swoon.] There’s something about these colors together that is incredibly chic. Being the little type-A planner I am, I immediately started printing pictures of flower arrangements, table settings, and bridesmaids dresses that fit the style. I shared my photos with a few friends and they were all completely on board.


Photos by Stephanie Williams Photography, Event by Dazzling Details
Not too long after my decision was made, doubts started creeping up. (Or maybe “got louder” is the right way to explain it. There was always a little piece of me that didn’t identify with the combination, but it started to bother me more.) I loved the yellow (hello, that’s how I started!) but the gray was started to look dreary, industrial, and impersonal to me. The thought of having my ‘maids in gray dresses was depressing. I think that the pink-lover in me was screaming to come out and splash a little more color into the wedding day palate. I actually tried to fight it for a couple weeks but I eventually gave into my gut. I L-O-V-E-D the look of yellow and gray, but it really wasn’t me. I needed more color. I needed a little less modern and a little more shabby chic. That’s when I pretty much chucked my previous inspiration boards and went back to the drawing board (or inspiration board in this case ;) ).

Was there a time where you had to follow your gut instead of your head? Was the process of choosing your colors a snap or like me, did you flounder a bit?

No comments:

Post a Comment