Google Analytics

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Hawks on Honeymoon: Arriving in Punta Cana

Because we had Labor Day weekend on our side, Mr. H and I decided to do a Monday to Monday honeymoon rather than Sunday to Sunday. It was probably one of the best decisions we made. Even with the extra recovery day, we still managed to look pretty darn tired on the plane.


We arrived early afternoon at Punta Cana International Airport (PUJ). Customs and Immigration was a fairly quick process, but be aware that purchasing a $10 tourist card (per person) has to be done before going through customs. Another thing to note is that PUJ is an open air building (NO AC!). I wore jeans since I tend to be cold on flights, but I was regretting that decision while waiting in line for security and customs. There are large ceiling fans, but it wasn't enough to keep me cool!

To get to the resort we chose to take a taxi, and I'm so glad we did. I had read mixed reviews on the various transfer options and rates. One shared transfer I researched offered round-trip for around $60. Mr. H and I paid $40 each way for a taxi and made it to Majestic Elegance in about 15 minutes. Not having to make multiple stops for other travelers was more than worth the extra $20 we ended up spending.

The check-in process at Majestic Elegance was a dream. Being that it is a larger resort, Mr. H and I chose to upgrade to the Elegance Club. Among the many additional perks of staying in the Club, they offer a separate check-in desk with a personal concierge assigned to you for your stay. Within minutes we were touring the grounds drink in hand.

With the lobby above, the staircase leads to a lower bar with open air seating

The grounds with a partial view of the downstairs lobby bar area

Private Elegance Club pool area

Private Club bar
After grabbing an afternoon snack, our concierge lead us to our room. We chose not to upgrade to a "swim up" room, so our room was located on the second floor. Even though we had to walk a little farther to get to the pool, I thought it was a good decision on our part. Our room offered a lot more privacy.

The bed with the bathroom to the right

Small seating area and balcony
 

I was very impressed with the beautiful grounds and thankful that we upgraded to the Club. After a busy wedding week, I knew I'd appreciate the quieter, adult-only area of the resort.

Did you chose to make any upgrades on your honeymoon? Is being in an adult-only environment important to you?

1 comment:

  1. Looks like a beautiful place for a honeymoon! I cannot wait for our honeymoon in September and we also choose an adult only resort. Some times you just need to relax :) Can't wait to see more pics!

    ReplyDelete